Meta descriptions and title tags are some of the most vital elements of any website’s content. A meta description tag and title tag should consist of keywords that are relevant to the site’s content. It helps the search engines to understand the nature and content of the page which makes it easier to index the web pages based on the relevant keyword phrases or keywords.
Let’s have a closer look at these two important elements of any SEO campaign.
A meta description can work as a small piece of content which is used by Google as a summary for the particular website. This can be presented in the search result snippets that come just below the URL. The meta description functions as a proper description of the page which can be referred to by the user while deciding to visit a page.
Here are some tips for creating meta descriptions.
- The meta description tags must be approximately between 150 and 160 characters so that the whole tag perfectly fits on the SERPs once it is displayed. This helps people to read them quickly.
- Every page in your website should ideally have a precise and unique meta description. The experts at Google strongly suggest making use of site-level descriptions for main home page as well as other aggregation pages. You can use the page-level descriptions for all other areas.
- When it comes to a large site, coming up with unique meta descriptions can be time consuming. In such cases, Google strongly recommends making use of a summary for critical URLs such as the home page and all the popular pages.
The role of the title tag is to define the subject matter presented in the document. This title element is needed in all HTML and XHTML documents which is why it is said to be an important on-page SEO element. The title tag is a type of “meta” element, which means that it offers information about a HTML or XHTML file but it does not appear on page to the users. Nevertheless, the users can still see the title tags as they appear on results pages above the URL and on top of the browser. The title tags provide users with a quick insight on the content of a webpage. It also lets them know how the content can be relevant or vital to their queries. The title tags are often the main piece of information along with meta description used by the potential visitors when they are trying to decide about which search result they should to click on. Therefore, it is important to make use of meaningful, high-quality titles while optimizing your web pages.
Here are some of the methods that you can use while working on your title tags.
- Title tags must ideally have fewer than 70 characters so that the whole tag perfectly fits on the results pages. This can make it easy for Google to display it and the people can also check it out quickly.
- You can use the keywords in the title tags and implement important keywords near the front of a title tag. The Search Engines are going to highlight the terms in search results once the user puts in a query with the specific terms.
- Each and every title tag present on your website must have a unique content along with descriptive titles so that they can be used properly.
Google strongly recommends titles that include your brand name as this helps you in getting discovered. So include the name of your site right at the start or end of the page title and separate it from the remaining of the title tag with a hyphen, pipe or colon.